For the past 4 years, we have had a program at Barrow called the Barrow Buddy Book Builders. This program has allowed families and community members to purchase new books for our library from a wishlist and dedicate those books to someone special or in memory of someone. When orders were made, I had conversations with the students involved so that the book that was chosen matched an interest that they had. I also handled all of the financial records, wrote receipts, made the dedication labels and certificates, placed the order, processed the books when the came in, and more. Now that I no longer have a paraprofessional this program was one that I had to look at closely. Thankfully, Bound to Stay Bound Books, one of our main vendors, started a program called S.O.S Library. This program is essentially the same thing I was already doing, but BTSB does all of the work!
I just bought the first book for our library, Elephant and Piggie: Let’s Go for a Drive!, in honor of my daughter and son, and the process was really easy to follow.
Here’s how it works:
- Starting today, visit http://www.btsb.com/sosl/davidcbarrowelementary/
- Browse our wishlist of books. Select the book(s) you wish to purchase and add to your cart. If there is a specific book you are looking for but don’t see on the list, email me and I’ll add it to the list if it’s available.
- Choose your donation plate and add your dedication.
- The book(s) will be shipped directly to our school already ready to put onto the library shelves!
- BTSB will email you a receipt for your tax records.
Even if you can’t afford to purchase a whole book, you can make a monetary donation on the site as well. Donated money will be pooled together to purchase books from the list. You can even add a monetary donation to your book order if you want to give a little more.
I’m so glad that we are able to continue the Book Builder Program in a new way. I hope you’ll visit our site today to make your donation and share with anyone and everyone.