Wow! We had the most students ever participate in our 3rd annual picture book smackdown. Even sickness and technical difficulties didn’t stop our students in 5 states sharing favorite books along with author, Laurie Thompson.
Here are a few behind the scenes notes:
- There were multiple emails and tweets sent between the participating schools in this smackdown. We established etiquette for the hangout such as keeping things moving, muting microphones when we weren’t speaking, and only having about 5 students at a time share
- We all prepared our students in advance of the smackdown but we each did it in our own way. My own students had a basic script that they filled out.
- The amazing Cathy Potter helped organize Laurie Thompson to join us. Unfortunately, Picture Book Month founder, Dianne de Las Casas wasn’t feeling well and couldn’t join us. She was with us in spirit, though!
- I had a group of 50 students! Luckily 2 volunteers and a teacher helped me keep them organized in chairs and a parent frantically wrote down as many titles of shared picture books as she could.
- We all came into the Google Hangout early to test our cameras and microphones. We communicated with one another through the chat in Hangouts as well as through text messaging if needed.
I would like to thank all of the schools who participated, Laurie Thompson, our volunteers, and all of the people who viewed and sent out tweets. Thanks for celebrating Picture Book Month with us!
We’ll see you next year for our 4th annual smackdown!